1st Willamette Steelhead

1st Willamette Steelhead
Willamette Steelhead 2008

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Aly's First Steelhead

Well, I at least have to tell you all about Aly's first steelhead pictured below. The last few years it seems I have fished less with the kids for trout and spent more time on the river chasing steelhead. I've been feeling a little guilty about it. This year I'm gonna try to focus a little more on getting them out to catch more fish. Well, Aly had been asking me to take her steelhead fishing. She had been along on some trips but just fishing for trout. I like to back troll divers and bait for steelhead and if there is and extra person in the boat, I like to dangle an irresistible adams on a fly rod right behind the boat for them. We have caught some nice trout using this method. We decided to get Aly her own steelhead tag for the season. We headed out early in the morning on May 9th. This was early in the season for summer run fish up this high, but we had been hearing some stories of people catching a few fish here and there. Plus it was going to be a nice warm day. Got all of our gear ready and put in early in the morning. By sunrise we had rowed up to our preferred spot and starting fishing. The river in this section runs from south to north. The rising sun hiding behind tall trees on the east bank cast long shadows all the way across the river. We were a little surprised to see several other boats on the water. I can't remember how many now but I do recall I man in a beautiful aluminum boat with a red stripe down the side, anchored up on the opposite side of the river, just above a nice little ripple. We were a little cold there in the early morning shadows and the sun staring to shine on the other side of the river looked really inviting. I told Alyson we would head to the opposite side as soon as the gentleman in the red boat moved down. Well, he stayed there for another hour or more. We were about to head down river ourselves when he pulled anchor and moved on. I got on the oars and moved over there. We rebated our lines and started fishing down into the ripple. Now by this time, we had been on the river for over 3 hours. I must say, Aly was a little tired of being out that long and not even getting a bite. She was reading her book off and on and at this time she had moved up onto the bow of the boat. Our baits had moved down into the middle of the ripple. Just as it always does, the rod cracking strike of a ten pound hen took us both by surprise and happened in an instant. Aly's rod was doubled over and line peeled of the real. I yelled fish on to her, but she was already jumping down and pulling the rod out of the rod holder. This fish was a bruiser and fought hard. I got out the net and tried to coach her as best I could. I had her move into the middle of the boat and lift up on this fish as hard as she could. After a few runs at the boat, I leaned over as far as I could and netted the beast. I lifted it into the boat and both Aly and I yelled "Yes"! We gave hi fives and then realized that a couple of boats had pulled over next to us to watch. They were yelling congrats to both of us. It was possibly the best moment I have ever had fishing. I was so excited for her and proud of her. She handled that fish like a pro. Sorry, a little long winded but I hope to never forget that day. Thanks for reading. wt

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you have posted this story here for posterity. She is already an awesome fishergirl.

    ReplyDelete