1st Willamette Steelhead

1st Willamette Steelhead
Willamette Steelhead 2008

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Still a little early

Last Saturday I had a few hours in the afternoon to get out with my 3 daughters to float down the Willamette in Springfield. We put in a Island Park and floated to D street. Maybe a mile of river in that section. More steelhead than usual have passed Willamette falls than is normal for this time of year, so thought we might as well give it a shot. I'm pretty excited for the fishing this year. My oldest daughter (8) now has her own steelhead tag. This means I will almost always have someone to fish with. I'm excited for her. Very much looking forward to her first steelhead. She has caught a lot of trout since she started fishing at 2 years old and has hooked some monsters but never got one to the bank or boat. Soon. Very soon. We fished divers and bait through some likely spots for the fish to be holding. After an hour and a half of nothing, the girls were ready to call it a day. My wife was on a walk with our youngest in the stroller and saw us from the bank. It was a pleasant suprise and was fun to wave to her from the middle of the river. No fish and no bites. A couple more weeks and hopefully we'll see some good numbers of fish up here.

1 comment: